How can play meet mathematical rigour?
What might the process of mathematical thought, when distilled, look like? Enter making and breaking conjectures, where play meets rigour! Join us as we explore fascinating maths, form observations, use evidence to prove or disprove ideas and build on existing conjectures to delve deep into compelling problems.
What you can expect
At this Maths Teacher Circle session, you will receive:
- 2.5 hours of high quality professional learning
- Resources for each activity you do during the session and a copy of any slides
- Dedicated time to explore and deepen your understanding of mathematical problem-solving
- A session recording, so you can go back through it again later
- A certificate recognising your professional learning hours and AITSL-aligned standards
- Time to do and build an understanding of activities that you can use with your students of all backgrounds
- Opportunity to meet and remain in contact with other educators
- Opportunities to discuss and ask questions about classroom practice and mathematical ideas.
Deepen your learning experience
Registration is available for the MTC22 Annual Pass (includes four sessions) or for individual sessions. By coming back to multiple Maths Teacher Circle sessions, you will:
- Deepen your mathematics content knowledge and make connections between important ideas and concepts
- Develop and refine your pedagogical practices for delivering problem solving activities and mathematical routines
- Hear from presenters of different backgrounds, including teachers, mathematicians and learning specialists
- Be able to implement new ideas in the classroom, reflect and then build on them at subsequent sessions
- Become part of an ongoing learning community that focuses on understanding and teaching mathematics.
- Receive a bonus MTC22 Handbook to guide your learning and implementation of ideas when you register for an Annual Pass.
Join like-minded teachers, mathematicians and other maths lovers.
- Do you enjoy doing and being challenged by maths?
- Are you after strategies and recommended resources to help students become better mathematical thinkers and problem solvers?
- Do you want dedicated time to focus and reflect on your teaching practice?
- Are you keen to build meaningful connections and join a like-minded community?
Then Maths Teacher Circles are for you! We look forward to seeing you soon.
Join us in July and at other dates throughout 2022. In each practical and interactive session, we will dive into thought-provoking and accessible maths problems and discuss their implications for classroom practice.
Sessions feature an exciting range of presenters and opportunities to connect with others in a welcoming environment.
January Session – The Power of Estimation
Date: Thursday 20 January 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Australian Eastern Daylight Time, UTC+11 Syd/Mel)
- Margarita Breed: primary and secondary maths consultant
- Andrew Lorimer-Derham: Founder, Think Square
Find out more about the January session.
April Session – Questions to Inspire Mathematical Thinking
Date: Thursday 21 April 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time, UTC+10 Syd/Mel)
Find out more about the April session.
July Session – Making and Breaking Conjectures
Date: Thursday 28 July 2022
Time: 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time, UTC+10 Syd/Mel)
October Session – Connecting the Dots: Seeing and representing maths in new ways
Date: Thursday 13 October 2022
Time: 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Australian Eastern Daylight Time, UTC+11 Syd/Mel)
Find out more about the October session.
In a different timezone? Convert the session times here.
Keen to attend a session but can't make the time? By registering, you will get access to the session recording after the event plus all session resources. So, you won't miss out!
Registering For More Than 1 Session
Registering for the MTC22 Annual Pass will give you access to all four sessions.
To register for 2 or 3 sessions, select and register for one event first. Then, at Checkout, select ‘Buy More Tickets’ – this option will appear in your cart near the total price:
The registration cost for the MTC22 Annual Pass is $450. This gives you access to all four sessions and includes a bonus handbook to guide your learning and implementation of ideas.
If you would like to register for individual sessions instead, the cost is $120 per session.
AITSL Professional Standards
AITSL Professional Standards for Teachers addressed in these sessions: 1.2, 1.5, 2.1, 2.5, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 4.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.4.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to find out more about virtual Maths Teacher Circles sessions? Check out our frequently asked questions.
Make A Booking
Purchase the MTC22 Annual Pass
Register for individual sessions
Want to stay informed about the latest Maths Teacher Circle events and opportunities?