Join us in 2022 from wherever you are for the online Maths Teacher Circles Annual Series! Access four practical and interactive sessions, with a total of 10 professional learning hours across the year.
About the MTC22 Annual Series
Deepen your knowledge, skills and confidence in important areas of maths and teaching with the MTC22 Annual Series. Each session will build on the last, introducing fascinating problems and ideas about what it means to be a strong mathematical thinker. Sessions also feature dedicated time for considering classroom practice.
Just want to attend some of these sessions? Registration for individual sessions is also available.
January Session – The Power of Estimation: This first session sets the scene for the entire series. We will consider ‘Why is estimation pivotal for building mathematical understanding?' Using hands-on mathematical explorations, we’ll examine how estimation allows us to benchmark ideas, refine our intuition and hone our focus. The power of estimation lies at the heart of what is to follow.
April Session – Questions to Inspire Mathematical Thinking: In April, we return to explore the world of questioning. Through careful questioning, learners can move far beyond a ‘gut feeling' and into the realm of strategy, reasoning and purpose. All are core features of strong mathematical thinking. We'll discuss what makes for effective questions and how questions can be used to extend ourselves and each other.
July Session – Making and Breaking Conjectures: What might the process of mathematical thought, when distilled, look like? Enter making and breaking conjectures, where play meets rigour! In July, we’ll delve deep into compelling problems as the basis for forming observations, using evidence to prove or disprove ideas and building on existing conjectures.
October Session – Connecting the Dots: Seeing and representing maths in new ways: Together, the previous sessions will culminate in October, where we'll connect the dots. Finish up the MTC22 Annual Series, by focusing on what kinds of mathematical experiences help with making connections, building understanding and seeing mathematics in new ways. We'll explore how even the simplest ideas can lead to a myriad of mathematical interpretations and insights, and how mathematical connections are made and strengthened over time.
What you can expect from the MTC22 Annual Pass
By holding a MTC22 Annual Pass, you will:
- Receive registration for four Maths Teacher Circles virtual sessions (total of 10 professional learning hours)
- Deepen your mathematics content knowledge and make connections between important ideas and concepts
- Develop and refine your pedagogical practices for delivering problem solving activities and mathematical routines
- Hear from presenters of different backgrounds, including teachers, mathematicians and learning specialists
- Be able to implement new ideas in the classroom, reflect and then build on them at subsequent sessions
- Become part of an ongoing learning community that focuses on understanding and teaching mathematics
- Receive a bonus MTC22 Handbook to guide your learning and implementation of ideas.
In addition, at each session, you will receive:
- Resources for each activity you do during the session and a copy of any slides
- Time to do and build an understanding of activities that you can use with your students of all backgrounds
- A session recording, so you can go back through it again later
- A certificate recognising your professional learning hours and AITSL-aligned standards
- Opportunities to discuss and ask questions about classroom practice and mathematical ideas.
Not looking for a year’s worth of professional learning? Registration for individual sessions is also available.
Join like-minded teachers, mathematicians and other maths lovers.
- Do you enjoy doing and being challenged by maths?
- Are you after strategies and recommended resources to help students become better mathematical thinkers and problem solvers?
- Do you want dedicated time to focus and reflect on your teaching practice?
- Are you keen to build meaningful connections and join a like-minded community?
Then Maths Teacher Circles are for you! We look forward to seeing you soon.
Access four online sessions with the MTC22 Annual Pass. During each, we will dive into thought-provoking and accessible maths problems and discuss their implications for classroom practice. Sessions feature an exciting range of presenters and opportunities to connect with others in a welcoming environment.
January Session – The Power of Estimation
Date: Thursday 20 January 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Australian Eastern Daylight Time, UTC+11 Syd/Mel)
- Margarita Breed: primary and secondary maths consultant
- Andrew Lorimer-Derham: Founder, Think Square
Find out more about the January session.
April Session – Questions to Inspire Mathematical Thinking
Date: Thursday 21 April 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time, UTC+10 Syd/Mel)
Find out more about the April session.
July Session – Making and Breaking Conjectures
Date: Thursday 28 July 2022
Time: 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time, UTC+10 Syd/Mel)
Find out more about the July session.
October Session – Connecting the Dots: Seeing and representing maths in new ways
Date: Thursday 13 October 2022
Time: 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Australian Eastern Daylight Time, UTC+11 Syd/Mel)
Find out more about the October session.
In a different timezone? Convert the session times here.
Keen to sign up for the MTC22 Annual Series but can't make a session? By registering, you will receive a session recording after each event plus all session resources. So, you won't miss out!
The registration cost for the MTC22 Annual Pass is $450. This gives you access to all four sessions and includes a bonus handbook to guide your learning and implementation of ideas
If you would like to register for individual sessions instead, the cost is $120 per session.
AITSL Professional Standards
AITSL Professional Standards for Teachers addressed in these sessions: 1.2, 1.5, 2.1, 2.5, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 4.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.4.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to find out more about virtual Maths Teacher Circles sessions? Check out our frequently asked questions.
Make A Booking
Purchase the MTC22 Annual Pass
Register for individual sessions
Want to stay informed about the latest Maths Teacher Circle events and opportunities?